git(or vcs of choice) is your friend! now that thats out of the way,

we keep different inventory files for some stuff, and sometimes a vagrant
file with its own inventory as "dev/test" for smaller or personal projects.
one folder will have roles downloaded from galaxy. the others next to it
have be for their own sections instead of one big ansible tree for
everything. for example, all the routers and firewalls are in their own
tree, so if you want to look at the changelog for those, its easy. so your
tree could look like this. if you want to keep them all in one big
repository, you'll probably want git submodules.

ansible
 |--roles
 |  |--jcarmack.doomserver
 |  |--jdoe.ircd