Resistance from co-workers is a big problem...

Legacy systems is another one but can be dealt with...

In some cases their are other issues though...

But equally it is not always possible to replace manual installations.  I
am not an Oracle DBA and in the organisation I work for the DBAs are a
separate team.  While it might be possible for me to automate Oracle
installation and configuration, I don't know what to do, and I don't think
that they would let me.  (Heck, they don't listen when I tell them that
asmlib is not needed, is a hack, and we should use the OS equivalent which
is better supported)

Some of our installs could be automated, but when you only install the app
once on two machines and the vendor supplied instructions are several
hundred pages, I am not going there.  If the vendor wants to automate their
install process then great, but in that case I am not. (The application,
database, message bus, DNS entries, file systems, network settings, etc are
all detailed.  The application alone consists of several hundred daemons
and has its own registry...)

Finally I also have to deal with some systems which have been approved by a
regulatory agency.  Those ones cannot be changed without a lot more
approval work.  In those cases we are mostly at the mercy of the
application vendor.