On 23. jan. 2017 18:38, Elliott Barrere wrote:
If you move the playbook you have problem with to the same level as
site.yml, does it work?

Aha!  That indeed fixes it.  I guess we were relying on some deprecated
functionality that disappeared when we upgraded.

I have now moved playbooks/linux/linux.yaml to ./linux.yaml for testing,
but this is obviously not a great long-term solution (we have a lot of
playbook files, and we like to organize them with directories).  I have
tried moving the host_vars and group_vars directories underneath the
./playbooks and ./inventory directories respectively, but neither of those
locations work either (probably because each contains a sub-directory that
contains the .yaml files themselves)

Yes, they need to be on the same level as the yaml file.

What is the recommended directory structure for this type of setup,
allowing us to keep an organized subdirectory structure?

Ansible was not designed for you layout, there is an alternate layout in the best practice
https://docs.ansible.com/ansible/playbooks_best_practices.html#alternative-directory-layout

Since Ansible follow symlinks, you could just make some links to host_vars and group_vars and keep the layout as-is.

--
Kai Stian Olstad