Yeah, I see where you're going -- and I was thinking the same thing.
Unfortunately, not even a manual deletion of the files and re-request of a
checkout corrects my issue.  VSS stubornly holds onto the notion that I have
the files checked out still and won't re-checkout.  This is too messy...just
gonna drop it and move onto other more important issues (like convincing
management that VSS sucks).

JD