----- Original Message -----
From: "Diane Holt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, May 04, 2001 12:48 AM
Subject: RE: Ant 1.4 -- failonerror attributes?

> --- "J.D. Fagan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I was under the impression that chmod was a UNIX only task.  Or so it
> > states in the documentation.  Does it work for Windows?
>
> Oh right -- sorry. I forgot we were dealing with VSS, which means dealing
> with Windows. Do you work in DOS, or do you have a shell you work from? If
> the latter, you could use <exec>.

Writable or not writable is not the problem. Checkout wth VSS does *not*
mean the same as checkout with cvs. A checkout is comparable with the
edit-command and changes the file to writable. You do a checkout before you
start to change some files. The "thing" that would (could) produce read-only
files is get (that one is comparable with the checkout from cvs), but one
could use 'writable="yes"' to avoid that.

The problem is that ss.exe returns with exit-codes != 0 if there is some
file already checked out and you try to check it out again. Even if it's on
the same machine with the same user and the file is not changed.
Unfortunately the exit-codes are just "100" for "some error or warning
occured" and "1" for "a fatal error occured" so there is no (secure) way to
avoid that.

Nico