I have to assume the style task uses the same classpath that ant itself is using.

IIRC Style just tries a series of Class.forName() calls. It calls them in the order
listed. The first that doesn't throw a
ClassNotFound exception (and hence the first found in your "classpath" is the one that
is used.

I use SAXON and the style task finds that (as a TraX processor) just fine.

HTH