There's another thread that's been going on in this list that goes over
the merits of having a "global" build where a single build.xml file
builds everything versus a "local" build where each package has its own
build.xml file and the whole thing is driven by a global build.xml
which is essentially a director. It's a holistic vs. reductionistic
argument.

It really depends on why you have multiple packages in the first place.
If they're just ways of organizing your project, then build everything
in a global build.xml. If they're stand-alone packages that are put
into jars that can or are being used for other projects then they
should have their own build.xml and your project's build.xml should
just ensure the package is up-to-date. That's how I like to approach
builds.