I, too, have found the docs a little confusing
regarding the optional tasks. (Like, where does it
tell you to download the optional.jar?  I didn't learn
this until I got an error message.  by then I was on
the train with my laptop, unable to download anything
:-(  )
Anyway, to use JUnit, I think you need to have
Junit.jar and the optional.jar in you classpath.  You
should not need to define a task for Junit.
I have also gotten JUnit tests to work by putting a
main(String args[]) method in the JUnit class (the
JUnit docs describe what to do), then running that
class with the Ant <java> task.  This works fine.

=====