I don't have a solution for you.... all I know is that it works for me.
I'd recommend you check the archives of this list and see if you can find
someone that solved it.    Here is my Ant target:

<target name="junit" depends="compiletests" description="Execute Unit
Tests">
    <junit>
        <sysproperty key="PROPXXX" value="value"/>
        <classpath>
            <pathelement path="${java.class.path}" />
        </classpath>
        <formatter type="xml" />
        <batchtest>
            <fileset dir="${build}">
                <include name="test/**/*Test.class" />
            </fileset>
        </batchtest>
    </junit>
    <junitreport>
        <fileset dir=".">
            <include name="TEST-*.xml"/>
        </fileset>
        <report format="noframes" styledir="etc/xsl"/>
    </junitreport>
</target>

I'm running with junit.jar in my classpath (prior to running Ant)... its not
in my ANT_HOME/lib directory.

Try the classpath thing as shown above inside the <junit> task and see if
that helps.

    Erik