>On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 06:14:42PM +0100, Rolf Katzenberger wrote:
>>  On Wed, 21 Nov 2001 12:22:42 +1100, Jeff Turner
>  > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  > 1. Very basic, no-frills projects for the absolute beginner
>  > (javac, javadoc, java targets; just for the sake of those who like to
>>  copy and paste a little during learning, to motivate them by "instant
>>  gratification"; BTW, this is also useful at least for all of these
>  > quick&dirty "Hello World" tests I do)
>
>When someone adopts and improves the 'no-frills' project at the expense
>of some additional build.xml complexity, what happens? Can they submit
>their modified build system?

I would suggest adding some information on ANT growth paths.

For example, for one client, I started with an ANT build for one project,
put in three other build scripts in the same cvs tree, then factored out
the targets.

After that, I wrote a metabuild script that called the above scripts.

I then needed continuous integration, so I got cruise control working.

Now, we are going to start adding in unit tests, so I need to see what that
will do to our scripts.

Each time through, I learn more about ANT, and how to make it do my
bidding.  I suspect knowing some of the end points would have helped
me make my starting decisions.

For example, our cvs tree has org, edu, and com at the root, and that is
not going to change.  Early on my list was learning how to use copy tasks
to prevent rebuilding the world.  Most OS projects are not organized this
way, but it can be done using items from the FAQ.  It would be good to
know that it can be, and to have an example.

Also, knowing that continuous integration is likely for people using ANT, it
would be handy to know what options are out there, and what I am looking
at to make them work.

Scott