At 02:35 PM 1/8/2002 -0800, Frank E. Weiss wrote:
>The real horse at the other end of the tail is: Could Ant be used to build
>.NET
>assemblies? Here's a rad idea: could you use Ant as a replacement for (the
>build part of) Visual Studio .NET?

I thought the real point was addressed when I pointed out that Ant
*already* supports J# or most any other language or file processing tool.

It is called the Apply task which supports both one-file-at-a-time and
all-files-at-once commands.  The Mapper subelement supports incremental
builds (sans dependency checking, although you can do your own a la Make).

http://jakarta.apache.org/ant/manual/CoreTasks/apply.html

I use Ant for practically *all* of my scripting needs for both Unix and
Windows.  That includes not just build but also for install.  The next cool
thing I see for Ant is an interactive shell.

jim