I am not to familiar with your problem, but this just jumped at me:

                                                ^
                                                ^----- Is this a space?

>          <attribute name="Main-Class" value="HelloWorld"/>
>        </manifest>
>      </jar>
>    </target>

And Another thing, in your HelloWorld.java code, there is no configuration
options for log4j (like appenders and stuff), so either you have to have a
log4j.properties or log4j.xml in your classpath as well. But all that is
really not related to ant.

Hope this helps.

Ylan Segal.