It's not an absolute necessity for us to include everything in a single
jar file, but it is a convenience.  In the jar spec it seems to hint at
the fact that you can do this, though I'm inferring that.  It doesn't
seem to be very explicit about it.

Anyway, if we're trying to make the java runtime do something that it
wasn't necessarily designed to do then you're probably right--we may
just be better off deploying the dependency jars separately and simply
referring to them still in the classpath in the manifest file.

Todd