Well, I don't think you are doing anything wrong, I just wouldn't do it the
same way ;-) By that I mean that you either define your <patternset> outside
<copy> with an id, and refid it from <copy>, or you define it locally inside
<copy> and thus don't need to assign it an id. So I'd do either:

<project name="test" default="clean" basedir=".">
    <target name="clean" description="clean package">
        <delete>
            <fileset dir="."
                     includes="name="**/*.class" />
        </delete>
    </target>
</project>

or

<project name="test" default="clean" basedir=".">
    <patternset id="all_class_files">
        <include name="**/*.class" />
    </patternset>

    <target name="clean" description="clean package">
        <delete>
            <fileset dir=".">
                <patternset refid="all_class_files" />
            </fileset>
        </delete>
    </target>
</project>

the second form being better if you indeed use that same <patternset> in a
<copy> or <move> task in the same build file (or any other task using the
<patternset>. Otherwise the first is better IMHO.

By thinking about it, a clean target usually deletes the directory
containing the classes rather than the classes individually as you seem to
be doing. Then again, your <fileset> starts from "." instead of a usually
classes directory (classes/ or lib/classes/), so you might be doing
something not that usual.

--DD