Hi all.

I have a couple of off-topic questions that I'm sure you face all the time.

First, when creating a war or jar file, do you include all 3rd party
libraries necessary for your application to run/compile or not?  The
libraries needed to run and those needed to compile aren't always the same.
For example, you usually don't need jdbc drivers to compile but you do need
them to run.  Alternatively, you probably need servlet.jar to compile but
not to distribute because your target environment already has it.

Second, of these 3rd party libraries, which do you keep in source control.
All?

Currently I'm keeping all 3rd party libraries in source control (well,
except for the jdk stuff and servlet.jar), such as junit, our connection
pool, etc.  They get labeled, built, and deployed like everything else.
However, my current project runs on Tomcat and I like the idea that shared
libraries can go in "common" and project-specific stuff can go under
webapps/<project>/WEB-INF.  It seems silly of constantly "war-up" stuff that
very rarely changes.  Maybe the solution is that 3rd party stuff should go
in source control but shouldn't automatically get included in the build.

thanks

john