<jar destfile="${wardir}\lib\myjar.jar" basedir="${buildclient}"/> ( I've
been known to put index="true" when compiling against 1.3+ )
<signjar jar="${wardir}\lib\myjar.jar"
keystore="${working.directory}\somekeystore" storepass="nyob"
alias="something" verbose="true"/>

the jar appears to be generated fine. The jar is signed correctly and the
load of the applet prompts with the certificate as we require.

Not doing anything I haven't done before a million times with previous
versions of ant.

However, the problem is not with the signing, but the jar files themselves.

I get the stack trace after I try to run the applets- in fact the first
class called in the applet runs fine. The next 'screen' which is a second
call to the applet, I get the exception and can not recover. The exception
only occurs after the first interaction with the applet. The initial load
goes smoothly. Subsequent calls fail:

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Zip File is Closed
[...]

I switched to using <exec> to run jar instead and the jars work fine. I have
not seen that problem again since doing so either, but that leads me to
beleive there is something not quite perfect with the jar/zip implementation
provided in ant. Unlike the SignJar task, which makes a call directly to the
sun tool jarsigner.exe, jar is an implementation of the java.util.jar and
java.util.zip packages, which may be flawed, and I don't have time to track
down what that flaw might be.

needless to say it is somewhat disconcerting to have discovered that NOT
using the jar tool has been more reliable than using it has proven to be
since I have been using ant for as long as its been available and never
encountered this problem before.