On Sat, 4 Jan 2003, Steve Loughran wrote:

> you can do inclusions today using XML includes -declare the entities in the
> header of the build file, then insert them wherever you feel like.
>
> <?xml version="1.0"?>
> <!DOCTYPE project [
>         <!ENTITY properties SYSTEM "file:xmls/properties.xml">
>         <!ENTITY paths  SYSTEM "file:xmls/path_refs.xml">
>         <!ENTITY taskdefs SYSTEM "file:xmls/taskdefs.xml">
>         <!ENTITY taskdefs_post_compile SYSTEM
> "file:xmls/taskdefs_post_compile.xml">
>         <!ENTITY targets SYSTEM "file:xmls/targets.xml">
> ]>
> <project name="buildTest" default="printEnv" basedir=".">
>
>       &properties;
>       &paths;
>       &taskdefs;
>       &taskdefs_post_compile;
>       &targets;

I hadn't thought of that, and it is a pretty good idea. I think in
practice the problem will be if we want to override a target (or property
or whatever) from the original build file. So if the original build file
contains a target called "clean" which deletes two directories, and in the
subproject's build file we want "clean" to delete only one of those
directories, we would want to be able to redefine the "clean" target.
Using the inclusion method described above, of course, you'd get a
"duplicate target" error. (Separating out targets which might be redefined
into separate entities could get really horrible really quickly.)

Come to think of it, it seems likely that the <import> task mentioned in a
previous mail might have this problem as well. I'll try to check out of
CVS and test that, but if someone knows offhand, that would save me some
time.

Thanks!

Jessica