This was already asked before, and there's talk of a future <spawn> task. I
believe also that platform-specific solutions exists with <exec
vmlauncher="false">, and have been posted before.

Also, Charles Hudak [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] posted on Monday, March
04, 2002 6:17 PM a message titled RE: Running <exec> tasks asynchronously on
UNIX also on Windows? which provided a modification of the <exec> to allow
launching executables in the background.

I've already forwarded you directly that message with the code attached.

Regards, --DD

-----Original Message-----
From: Maciej Zawadzki [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, January 15, 2003 3:16 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Forking the exec task

Hello,

I am trying to basically fork the exec task so that Ant does not wait
for it to return.  Why?  Because I would like to use Ant to start a
server type application and I would like the Ant script to return even
though the started application is still running.

Maybe there is a simple way to do this or maybe there is a good reason
why this should not be done.  I've looked into using the <parallel> task
but that does not do the job.

A quick search through the email list archives reveals very little on
this topic.

Thanks for any help,

--Maciej
http://www.urbancode.com