Van: Gert Doering [mailto:g...@space.net]
Verzonden: dinsdag 3 november 2015 16:53
Aan: David Hofstee
CC: anti-abuse-wg@ripe.net
Onderwerp: Re: [anti-abuse-wg] WHOIS (AS204224)

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 03, 2015 at 04:17:19PM +0100, David Hofstee wrote:
> Every email address in the RIPE database should work. There is a
> reason to register an email address (and that is not for historical
> purposes). There should be someone that is able to read those emails
> (or it should serve its purpose). If it doesn't work, and that was
> determined correctly (and maybe escalated to the org itself), then it
> should be removed.

I totally agree that it should work, but you can't test that without actually
sending something there which causes a human to do something.

Now, for a LIR contact, this is ok ("part of the job description").

For an end user, I share Sasha's sentiments - this is contact information to be
used for *contacting* them, not for harrassing them with robots they don't want
to know about.

In doubt, send mail to the *LIR* asking "are your customer contact x, y and z
still valid?" - and I seem to remember that the NCC is actually doing that
(verifying end user contracts for sponsoring LIRs).  The NCC has a business
relation with the LIR, and part of that contract is "make sure your end user
registration data is valid".

I could see an occasional call in the case of "funny smelling things"
("so the LIR claims that this is valid, but we start to distrust the LIR"), but
not automated and regular calls/emails to end users...
(some might call this "spamming", and under german law, it might actually be
unless prior consent or a contractual relation exists)

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster

Tel: +49 (0)89/32356-444           USt-IdNr.: DE813185279