On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 12:44:47PM +0200, ac wrote:
I frequently read someone saying "RIPE is not the Internet
Police" (even I have said that a few times myself) but the hard
truth is that any RIR has a duty to exercise administrative authority.

Only as far as it pertains to the registration of
allocated/assigned resources. All membership of the RIPE NCC
since its foundation was entered into with the understanding that
the NCC is a *registry* not an *enforcer* and does not regulate
the operation or behaviour of member networks.
2019-03 attempts to change this by plugging into an ill-defined
concept of "policy". This is perhaps a fundamental issue, as
there has been "mission creep" from "address-policy" (the better
term is "resource policy") into all sorts of other aspects of
network operations.
Unfortunately, RIPE and the NCC were founded in much more
cooperative days and so it was omitted to clearly define the
"limits of authority", perhaps because it was not seen as
necessary back then. I therefore argue that it is maybe time to have a discussion on
what exactly RIPE and the NCC should be and what, if any, limits
on their administrative power there should be. I hope, though, that everyone can at least agree that *this* is
*not* the forum for that discussion.

rgds,
SL

Finding the balance where this duty is an over-reach, as per the subject
line of this hijacked thread, is an important discussion that I believe
this wg should have sometime as this relates directly to abuse also...

and, similarly, arguing that because Afrinic etc does not do this or
does not do that, is hardly any great argument either, many interesting
things, angles and points in these 2019-03 discussions and threads :)

Andre