Please. You keep trying to speak for the entire community and/or the ncc while
all the time it is about your personal preference.

—srs

________________________________
From: anti-abuse-wg <anti-abuse-wg-boun...@ripe.net> on behalf of Sascha Luck
[ml] <a...@c4inet.net>
Sent: Friday, April 5, 2019 4:03 AM
To: anti-abuse-wg@ripe.net
Subject: Re: [anti-abuse-wg] On +1s and Policy Awareness AND Astro...
something...

On Thu, Apr 04, 2019 at 04:52:32PM +0100, CSIRT.UMINHO Marco Teixeira wrote:
>While I speak for myself, I might incur the risk of representing a lot of the
>so-called "Astroturfers?!". While some accuse (please don't take it
>personally, it's just clarification) the newcomers of being voiceless, I must
>say that I have been, with great effort, refraining from going into a long
>discourse on a list where I am new. That should not be understood as a sign of
>"spamming" a vetting process, but as a sign of respect for all of you,
>long-standing members of RIPE, guardians of our IP addresses, one of the
>building blocks of the Internet :-)

I know of forums where "the n00b" is expected to shut up and
listen, but this is not one of them. At least I have never
noticed that newcomers weren't welcomed - and as I stated before,
I personally would like to see more and different voices here -
and no, not just those who agree with me although I hope some
will...

So don't be afraid to speak up if you've something to say!

>As one last thought, again IMHO, I believe BGP Hijacking is one of the most
>pressing issues, menacing the Internet resiliency, and it must be dealt with.
>In the same manner, we apply AUP's to our users, it's RIPE responsibility, to
>clearly state, it is not acceptable, and it will have consequences... Raising
>the risk for companies is the only way we tip the balance of "Loss vs
>Earning", and hopefully eradicate bad actors, or hopefully even stopping them
>right at their business plans.

1) The RIPE NCC is not the provider of "AUP" for the entire
Internet or even the Internet of the Service Region. I understand
that some would *like* it to be, but that is not what the members
are paying it for.
2) If anyone needs to be "eradicated", I'd prefer that to be
determined by a judge and, preferably, a jury. NOT some
neighbourhood watch curtain-twitcher with the help of a monopoly
service provider.

>This is why I support "2019-03 New Policy Proposal (BGP Hijacking is a RIPE
>Policy Violation)"

and this is why I oppose it :)

rgds,
SL