Dear colleagues,

In preparation for the upcoming AA-WG session, I want to provide an update on the status of the revamp of the blocklist feature on RIPEstat.

In 2021 and since the last status update we collected and reviewed a set of blocklists that we would see ideal to be included. We did this together with the help of our panel of domain experts.

Following the review, we performed a technical feasibility analysis, which filtered the blocklists related to supported resource type (IP and domain) and access method (DNS). For each of the remaining blocklists, we started to contact the respective operator and asked for permission to use the blocklist on RIPEstat.

The technical implementation of the required backend started with a delay but we are glad to report that we finished the development last month and released the feature a week ago.

Currently, the best way to use the new feature is via this RIPEstat widget:

https://stat.ripe.net/widget/dns-blocklists

Some details on the current solution:
- The data is fetched in realtime unless cached (with a maximum cache time of 2 hours)
- The supported resource type is a single IP address (IPv4 & Ipv6)
- To prevent abuse a daily rate limit of 100 uncached queries per user is in place

What we want to do next:
- Extend the number of blocklists
- Add support for domain queries
- Include the feature in the new UI (UI2020)
- Add a similar API for whitelists

As we are still reaching out to some blocklist operators it is unclear how many blocklists will be included but we expect the number to be significantly higher than the old blocklist API call. Soon we will also review whether the new blocklist feature is mature enough to replace the old one.

All details on the project planning are available here: https://ripestat.featureupvote.com/suggestions/196464/project-blocklists-2021

Last but not least I want to thank the participants of the panel for their invaluable input and support!

I hope you find the new feature useful and I am looking forward to your feedback.

All the best,
Christian