Hi Brian

Just a guess: But governments get increasingly dissatisfied with the laissez faire attitude of the technical community and the private sector in fighting cyber crime. In a recent talk Jane Easterly said: "The private sector has promised better security for yeas but has not delivered. This has to change".

I don't know what French LE asked, but it may well just trying to mae point. Ans states will up the game, regardless of our insisting that a given thing is not or responsibility.

Non state actors keep talking about shared responsibilities, but I fear what they mean by this is some one else's responsibility. Personally I feel this attitude leads to a bad outcome.

Times have changed, and so we need to change too, or we'll be forced to change, which seems much more unpleasant.

As I said, just some thoughts, no evidence here for the concrete reasons. But I hear authorities here in Switzerland, and they are not happy. The less we do, the more they feel they need to start doing something.

Best
Serge