Secret Israel-India defence
deal on the anvil
(www.tehelka.com, Aug 7)
Vice-Chief of Army Staff Lt Gen Vijay Oberoi is now
in Israel to discuss four broad areas of defence cooperation - avionics, Arrow
Anti-Ballistic Missile System, Green Pine Radar system and airborne early warning
Phalcon system, reports V K Shashikumar
New Delhi, August 6

India has launched a deep, in seriously underplayed, defence relationship with Israel
in its ongoing bid to beef up its military muscle. The focus is on high-end,
high-technology weapons systems. This synergy between Indian military requirements and
the Israeli facility at weapons development has added the necessary impetus to
Indo-Israeli cooperation.

The spokesperson of Israel's ministry of defence, Shlomo Dror, told tehelka.com, "The
Vice Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Vijay Oberoi, is now on a visit to Israel
and will discuss with his Israeli counterparts four broad areas of interest to Indian
defence services - avionics, Arrow Anti-Ballistic Missile system, Green Pine radar
system and the airborne early warning Phalcon system."

In a telephonic interview, Dror revealed that General Oberoi would also be taking a
keen interest in "Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (AEV), in which Israel is a world leader".
Reports suggest that the Israelis had supplied UAVs to India during the Kargil
conflict. According to sources, the man behind India' s effort to make defence
production indigenous, Abdul Kalam, now scientific advisor to the prime minister, had
secretly visited Israel in June 1996. In fact, India's homeboy UAV, Nishant, might
have some transferred Israeli technology in it.

 In the next 10 years, Israeli tanks, which are the best in the world, will be offered
to India

Dror calls the Israeli-Indian cooperation in UAVs "really interesting". India has a
need, now more than ever, for state-of-the-art UAVs to gather realtime intelligence
along and across the borders and to plan tactical operations. The Israelis have the
best UAVs in the world. "We even supply the US defence forces with UAVs, not to speak
of European and other countries," said Dror. India might be interested in the Eagle,
the cutting-edge UAV manufactured by the Israelis.

In the next two or three years, the thrust areas in Indo-Israel defence cooperation
will be:

1. UAVs
2. Air-to-Air Missiles. India is particularly interested in the Python 4 and Derby,
rated as the best missiles in this category in the world
3. Anti-tank missile called Spike
4. Barak Missile System 5. Arrow anti-ballistic missile system
6. Green Pine Radar system. Israel is the technology leader in Arrow and Green Pine.
However, Arrow has been developed with American collaboration
7. Tank upgrade, especially the T-72 tanks that India possesses
8. Aircraft and helicopter upgrades. The Israelis again are better than the Russians
in upgrading Russian-built equipment.

"We have a world renowned competence in upgrades because we understand Eastern
(Russian) platforms well and have the capability to put Western electronics in it,"
says Dror.

Perhaps, the secret flight and landing of a MiG-29 sometime in 1997 in the "technical
area" of Ben Gurion airport had something to do with "knowing Eastern platforms well
and putting Western avionics in it".

"The Israeli expertise in this area is easily demonstrated by the Lavy, which is
essentially an F-15 with advanced avionics," says Dror. "By doing the upgrades, we get
better aircraft in less money." He says in the next 10 years, Israeli tanks, which are
the best in the world, will be offered to India. "At the moment, the entire production
is being absorbed by the Israeli defence forces," he says