http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/cta/events01/world/eur/russia/91slideshow/sovi
et.ram
(RealPlayer Audio/Picture Footage of 1991 Coup)

BBC Online:
============================
1) Gorbachev praises Putin as 'inspiring'
2) Ex-putschists defend 1991 Soviet coup
============================

Thursday, 16 August, 2001, 15:31 GMT 16:31 UK
1) Gorbachev praises Putin as 'inspiring'
===========================
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/europe/newsid_1494000/1494674.stm

Yeltsin 'gave Gorbachev 24 hours to leave the Kremlin'

The last Soviet leader, Mikhail Gorbachev has lashed out at the 1991 coup
plotters and the man who stood up to them, Boris Yeltsin, while praising the
current Russian President, Vladimir Putin.
At a news conference ahead of the 10th anniversary of the coup, Mr Gorbachev
said that he should have sent Mr Yeltsin, who replaced him in the Kremlin in
December 1991, "to some banana republic".

"What Putin has been able to do over the past year inspires me"
Mikhail Gorbachev

He said that the perpetrators of the August 1991 coup were pursuing selfish
interests and used the idea of saving the Soviet Union merely as a cover.

But Mr Gorbachev was full of praise for President Putin, who he said had the
correct strategy and was acting in the interests of the majority of
Russians.

He reiterated that his Russian Social Democratic Party would support Mr
Putin at the next presidential elections.

Caution

"What he has been able to do over the past year inspires me," he said.

Gorbachev said Putin inspired him

"I like the caution with which Putin works to implement social and economic
reforms."

He dismissed claims that fear was returning to Russian society under Mr
Putin.

"It is the nomenklatura that is trembling because it's afraid of losing its
perks," he said.

Yeltsin criticised

But Mr Gorbachev was far from complimentary about former Russian President
Boris Yeltsin, both for his role after the coup and as a reformer.

He said that Mr Yeltsin had speeded up the disintegration of the Soviet
Union so that Russia could rely on its vast natural resources to advance
faster.

Mr Yeltsin did not "take the road of strengthening the democratic gains" of
perestroika during his eight-year rule, he added.

Mr Gorbachev said he had not seen his successor since December 1991, when he
was given 24 hours to leave the Kremlin.

Tanks

Mr Yeltsin was seen as the main victor in the coup attempt.

Yeltsin urged Russians to defend their parliament

Mr Gorbachev's leadership was undermined by several of his own ministers,
who sent tanks into the streets of Moscow on 19 August.

He was placed under house arrest in his holiday home.

But the coup plotters failed, as Mr Yeltsin brought thousands of Muscovites
out onto the streets to defend the Russian parliament.

Mr Gorbachev was released and returned to Moscow, but his authority was now
sinking just as Mr Yeltsin's was soaring.

Mr Yeltsin banned the activities of the Soviet Communist Party, of which Mr
Gorbachev had been general secretary, on Russian soil.

In December, the Soviet Union itself was disbanded and Mr Gorbachev
resigned.

----

Thursday, 5 July, 2001, 02:08 GMT 03:08 UK

2) Ex-putschists defend 1991 Soviet coup
=============================
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/europe/newsid_1423000/1423034.stm

The former coup leaders are unrepentant

Russian Communist hardliners who staged the abortive August 1991 coup
against the former Soviet President, Mikhail Gorbachev, have jointly
defended their actions.
The former top Soviet officials appeared together in public for the first
time in 10 years at a news conference in Moscow on Wednesday.

They denounced "the destruction of the country," and said they were ready to
"mount the barricades" again to restore the Soviet Union.

Mr Gorbachev was kept isolated for two days

Coup leader Gennady Yanayev - a former Soviet vice-president who proclaimed
himself acting president of the USSR - said he would gladly do it all over
again.

"All my comrades gathered here are true patriots, defenders of the state -
I'm proud to have joined them in their battle to defend the Soviet Union and
its long suffering people," he said.

The coup lasted only two days and the plotters were later sent to jail,
labelled traitors. They were granted an amnesty in February 1994.

Their coup paved the way for the dissolution of the Soviet Union in December
1991.

Unrepentant

The BBC's Steven Rosenberg in Moscow says the plotters lined up just like
they did in 1991, when they announced that Mikhail Gorbachev was sick and
they were forming an emergency committee to run the country.

He says the surroundings were not the most auspicious this time - a tiny
office of the newspaper Patriot in a crumbling Moscow block.

Dmitry Yazov - a former defence minister - said that in the decade since the
dramatic events of 19-21 August 1991, "the political system, the economy and
the army have been wiped out, along with the moral purity of the Russian
people".

Another of the plotters, Oleg Baklanov, listed what he saw as the country's
present ills.

Gennady Yanayev: "We are patriots"

"Wars in the former Soviet republics, refugees, children left alone,
tuberculosis, Aids and prostitution - that is the result of the presidency
of Gorbachev and Boris Yeltsin," he said.

"The current leadership is making efforts to restore control over the
country," said former Soviet Prime Minister Valentin Pavlov. "Today they are
trying to do what we attempted to do in the Soviet Union in 1991."

Short-lived coup

On 19 August 1991, the coup plotters announced that President Gorbachev was
ill, isolated him at a Black Sea resort and put themselves in charge.

They moved armoured columns in Moscow, but stopped short of using force
against thousands of protesters who rallied behind Boris Yeltsin, at the
time the president of the Russian Federation.

Vyacheslav Generalov - the secret service agent charged with keeping Mr
Gorbachev under house arrest - outlined why he thought the coup lacked
popular support.

Dmitry Yazov regretted the lost "moral purity of the Soviet people"

"The only reason people didn't support us is that they'd been hypnotised,
turned into zombies. But history's shown that we were right to do what we
did."

Despite all the opposition, at least one member of the group - Valery
Varennikov - still believed the coup could have been a success.

"If we'd only been firmer, stuck to our guns, then everything would have
been OK. But at least we showed Gorbachev that we opposed his policies," he
said.

Our correspondent says the plotters still consider themselves the heroes -
true patriots who fought to save the Soviet Union. Their only regret, he
says, is that they failed.