.
[Via Communist Internet... http://www.egroups.com/group/Communist-Internet ]
----- Original Message -----
From: secr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, August 31, 2001 5:59 PM
Subject: [mobilize-globally] Thousands rally in Durban against Israel and U.S.

Thousands rally in Durban against Israel and U.S.

DURBAN, South Africa, Aug 31 (Reuters) - Thousands of
demonstrators chanting
anti-Israeli and anti-American slogans marched through the
centre of Durban
on Friday as a world conference against racism got under
way.

"Israel is an apartheid state" and "Free, Free Palestine"
were among banners
waved by the protesters, estimated to number 10,000, as they
headed for a
meeting to be addressed by U.S. civil rights leader Jesse
Jackson.

Another banner read: "George Bush: Palestinian blood is on
your hands."

Both the United States and Israel have sent only low-level
delegations to the
United Nations-organised World Conference Against Racism in
protest at what
they say is an anti-Israel bias in draft texts drawn up for
the meeting.

Arab states have dropped clauses equating Zionism with
Racism but want
"foreign occupation" -- a veiled reference to Israeli
actions in Palestinian
territories -- to be branded as a new kind of apartheid.

Armed police looked on as marchers filed through central
city streets but
there were no immediate reports of any violence.

07:33 08-31-01

U.N. Chief: Racism Summit Can't Afford Failure

By Richard Waddington
 Reuters

DURBAN, South Africa (Aug. 31) - U.N. Secretary-General Kofi
Annan on Friday
urged delegates to an acrimonious global conference against
racism to set
aside their differences, saying the meeting could not afford
to fail.

''If we leave here without agreement we shall give comfort
to the worst
elements in every society,'' he told the opening session of
the eight-day
World Conference Against Racism, Racial Discrimination,
Xenophobia and
Related Intolerance.

Acknowledging rows that dogged preparations for the United
Nations-organised
meeting in the South African port of Durban -- Washington
has sent only a
low-level delegation because of what it says is an
anti-Israeli bias -- was a
test of the international community's ability to unite on a
vital issue.

''Let us not fail that test,'' he said.

Annan sought to sound a conciliatory note on the two most
contentious issues
-- how to deal with, if at all, conflict in the Middle East
and how to
address the historic ill of slavery.

Arab states have been insisting that the conference text
contain a specific
reference to what it says is racist treatment by Israel of
Palestinians in
the occupied territories.

Describing the Holocaust, in which some six million Jews
were killed by the
Nazis in World War Two, as ''the ultimate abomination,''
Annan said Israel
could not use the tragedy as an excuse never to examine its
own behavior.

''We cannot expect Palestinians to accept this (the
Holocaust) as a reason
why the wrongs done to them -- displacement, occupation,
blockage, and now
extra-judicial killings -- should be ignored, whatever label
one uses to
describe them,'' he said.

But Annan said the conference was not the place for mutual
recriminations and
that its aim was to look to the future.

He sent the same message on slavery, for which some African
states want an
explicit apology and possibly financial reparations from
former slave-trading
nations.

''Our aim must be to banish from this new century the hatred
and prejudice
that have disfigured previous centuries,'' he said.

The emphasis of the conference was on practical measures to
combat racism and
discrimination against ethnic minorities from which few
countries were immune.

''We must not leave this city without agreeing on practical
measures which
all states should take to fill that pledge,'' he said.

European countries and the United States, the main players
in the traffic of
slaves from Africa to north and south America for some 400
years up to the
19th century, reject any talk of reparations and are wary of
any wording in
the conference texts that could leave them open to legal
action.

REUTERS  Reut09:05 08-31-01

Jackson: Zionism Criticism to Come Out
.c The Associated Press

DURBAN, South Africa (AP) - The Palestinian delegation has
agreed to drop
criticism of Israel and Zionism in a final declaration for
the U.N.
conference against racism, the Rev. Jesse Jackson said
Friday.

Following a three-hour meeting with Yasser Arafat, Jackson
said the
Palestinian leader had agreed to oppose efforts to criticize
Israel and
Zionism, and to recognize the Holocaust as the worst crime
of the 20th
century.

The Palestinians were not immediately available for comment.

Jackson presented reporters with a handwritten draft of the
document signed
by Arafat in which he said he did not want the U.N.
conference to derail over
criticism of Israel.

The racism gathering has been overshadowed in part by
anti-Israel language in
a draft of the conference document. The United States
decided not to send a
high-level delegation to the conference because of negative
references to
Israel and the Zionist movement.

Shortly after making the announcement, Jackson spoke to
Secretary of State
Colin Powell by telephone to explain the statement Arafat
had signed.

Jackson criticized the Bush administration for not sending
Powell, noting
that he was able to resolve the controversy simply by
talking to the
Palestinian leader.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Learn Trading Tips the Professional Traders Use!
Free Newsletter from Optionetics.com
http://us.click.yahoo.com/q1ufhB/ZR9CAA/ySSFAA/XgSolB/TM