-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Yarker [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, August 31, 2001 7:00 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: war criminal to receive Elizabeth Blackwell Award

from: Snezana Vitorovich [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Dear friends,

this is another call for action! We have to start a letter writing campaign to stop this ! It is extremely offensive to both the memory of Elizabeth Blackwell and all the victims of wars in Iraq and the Balkans that the woman who stood behind the policy that caused the death of hundreds of thousands of people receives a award for her "contribution of service to humankind"...The woman should be charged with war crimes for her deeds !!!

Please send letters of protest in your name or in the name of your organization! We can not let this go unchallenged!

for your convenience please find the e-mails and phone numbers of the University's presidents...

NAME E-Mail PHONE DEPARTMENT

GEARAN MARK [EMAIL PROTECTED] 781-3309 President

OCONNOR ROBERT [EMAIL PROTECTED] 781-3816 President

PRINDLE SUSAN [EMAIL PROTECTED] 781-3309 President

WILEY LYNNE [EMAIL PROTECTED] Not Available President

Debra DeMeis, Dean of the College

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Valerie Gunter, Assistant Dean of the College

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Amy Sonnenfeld Teel, Associate Dean of the College

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

At the end of my massage you will find the list of e-mails of all the college staff that can be put in BCC Snezana

quote:

Editor

Letters to the Editor

Finger Lakes Times

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

P.O. Box 393

Geneva, NY 14456

A sarcasm beyond imagination! Elizabeth Blackwell dedicated her life to the cause of healing the sick. The award with HER name goes to the woman who "have made a considerable contribution of service to humankind" by not blinking an eye over half a million murdered kids! And those kids were, and still are dying the most horrible and painful deaths. May 12, 1996 Leslie Stahl CBS "60 Minutes" interview with Albright:

Stahl: "We have heard that a half a million children have died. I mean, that's more children than died in Hiroshima. Is the price worth it?"

Albright: "I think it is a very hard choice, but the price, we think the price is worth it."

-----

HWS NEWS RELEASE

Madeleine K. Albright to Receive Elizabeth

Blackwell Award at Hobart and William Smith

Colleges

August 5, 2001

GENEVA, N.Y.-Hobart and William Smith Colleges President Mark D. Gearan announced that former Secretary of State Madeleine K. Albright will receive the Elizabeth Blackwell Award in a ceremony on the Geneva, N.Y. campus at 5:30 p.m on September 4, 2001. Albright will be the 33rd recipient of the Blackwell Award,which is given to women who have made a considerable contribution of service to humankind.

Albright was nominated to the position of Secretary of State by President Clinton in 1997, making her the first female secretary of state and highest ranking woman in U.S. history. Prior to her appointment she served as the United States Permanent Representative to the United Nations and as a member of President Clinton's Cabinet and National Security Council.

"Madeleine Albright clearly embodies the Blackwell Award's recognition of women 'who have achieved and who have served.' With a distinguished career in public service and a deep commitment to internationalism, Dr. Albright will begin our academic year and recognize Hobart and William Smith's excellence in global studies and service," President Gearan said.

Born in Prague and the daughter of a Czech diplomat,

Madeleine Albright's interest in diplomacy and international affairs

began at an early age. Her family was forced to flee to London when Hitler invaded Czechoslovakia during World War II. After the war, her father returned to government service. The family eventually emigrated to America after Communists took control of Czechoslovakia in 1948.

Secretary Albright received her B.A., with honors, from Wellesley College, her master's and doctoral degrees from Columbia University's Department of Public Law and Government, as well as a Certificate from Columbia's Russian Institute.

Madeleine Albright is the founder of the Albright

Group LLC, a glo Albright is the first Distinguished

Scholar of the William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan Business School and is the first Michael and Virginia Mortara Endowed Professor in the Practice of Diplomacy at the Georgetown School of Foreign Service. She is also the chairman of The National Democratic Institute.

Albright expects to complete her autobiography for publication in 2003.

Hobart and William Smith Colleges award the Elizabeth Blackwell Award in honor of the institution's most famous graduate, Elizabeth Blackwell. Blackwell, born and raised in England, applied to and was rejected by 17 medical colleges in the mid-1840s, and was finally admitted to Geneva Medical College which later became Hobart College. She graduated at the top of her class in 1849, the first woman in this country to receive a medical degree. Blackwell went on to found the New York Infirmary for Women and Children and aided in the creation of its medical college. Upon her return to England she helped found the National Health Society, was the first woman to be placed on the British Medical Register, and taught at England's first college of medicine for women.

Hobart and William Smith Colleges have presented the Blackwell Awards since 1958 to such notable women as Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor; Surgeon General Antonia Novello; anthropologist and author Margaret Mead; choreographer Agnes George DeMille; U.S. Senator Margaret Chase Smith; U.S.Congresswoman Barbara Jordan, and professional tennis legend Billie Jean King.

{PS

After reading the names of some women recepients of the same award, I think it would not be a bad idea to put them in the copy of our letters!!! I stronlgy believe that some of them will not appreciate their name to be assosiated with that of Madeleine Albright!!!}

And staff names should be in BCC :

[EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED] ,

[EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED],

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ,[EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED],

[EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED] , [EMAIL PROTECTED],

[EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED] , [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED],

[EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED],

[EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED],

[EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED],

HWS PRESS RELEASE

http://www.hws.edu/new/releases/01-08-05.html

** Hobart and William Smith Colleges are coordinate,

private, liberal arts institutions,

located in Geneva, N.Y.-the heart of the Finger Lakes region. The Colleges, which have a combined enrollment of 1,800, offer a broad array of majors and minors, with a cross-disciplinary flavor intended to better inform both professional and intellectual pursuits. The Colleges are noted also for an emphasis on international study, and for their programs in community service. Hobart College for men and William Smith College for women share faculty, facilities, and curriculum, but maintain separate dean's offices, athletics programs, student governments, and traditions.