Monday September 24, 9:10 PM
EU team heads for Pakistan, Mideast to build
anti-terror front
BRUSSELS, Sept 24 (AFP) -
The heavyweights of EU foreign policy were setting off
from Brussels on Monday on an intense five-day mission
to get Pakistan and key Arab states to join a global
push against terrorism.
Led by Belgian Foreign Minister Louis Michel, the EU
ministerial troika will also include EU foreign policy
high representative Javier Solana and EU External
Relations Commissioner Chris Patten.
Joining them will be foreign minister Josep Pique of
Spain, which takes over the agenda-setting presidency
of the 15-nation European Union from Belgium next
January.
The mission follows an emergency summit of EU leaders
last Friday that called for a broad global coalition
against terrorism, and supported as "legitimate" US
plans to strike back for the September 11 attacks on
the World Trade Center and the Pentagon.
"It's not a fight or a battle against a particular
religion or particular countries -- on the contrary,"
Solana told reporters Monday after a meeting with NATO
Secretary General George Robertson, shortly before
departure.
"That's the reason why we're doing so many efforts,
from the European Union, to get as many countries of
the Arab world with us as possible," Solana said.
In an interview that appeared Monday in the French
newspaper Le Figaro, Michel said the EU delegation
would give certain countries "a chance to make a new
strategic choice."
"If the coalition is big enough and includes
representatives of all the great civilizations, I
really think that it can be efficient," he said.
"We will explain the position of the European Union,
tell our Arab friends on the ground that there is no
amalgam possible: it is a coalition against terrorism,
against fanatics, but not against Islam."
Patten's spokesman Gunner Wiegand said the troika
would depart Brussels around 4:00 pm (1400 GMT),
heading first to Pakistan, on the front line of
expected US strikes on Afghanistan.
There it will hold talks with President General Pervez
Musharraf and Foreign Minister Abdas Sattar, before
proceeding Tuesday evening to Iran's capital Tehran.
On Wednesday the Europeans will see Iranian President
Mohammad Khatami and Foreign Minister Kamal Kharazi,
hot on the heels of a visit to Tehran the day before
by British Foreign Secretary Jack Straw.
Later Wednesday the troika will go to Riyadh to see
Saudi Arabia's Crown Prince Abdullah bin Abdulaziz and
Foreign Minister Prince Saud al-Faisal.
On Thursday morning, it will proceed to Cairo for
talks with Egyptian Foreign Minister Ahmed Maher and
President Hosni Mubarak, who will himself have just
come back from Paris, Berlin and Rome.
The troika will also see Arab League Secretary General
Amr Mussa.
Wiegand said the troika would "most likely" go to
Jordan's capital Amman on Friday, "but this is,
however, still uncertain because apparently King
Abdullah II is out of the country."
The troika is also to go to Damascus on Friday, seeing
President Bashar al-Assad and Foreign Minister Faruq
al-Shara.
On the trip home Saturday, the mission will make a
stopover in Skopje to shore up intensive EU efforts to
help Macedonia overcome an ethnic Albanian rebellion
that threatened to explode into a new Balkan war.
Asked what might happen if the United States carries
out any military attacks while the troika is
travelling, Wiegand replied: "We're in a Belgian air
force plane... I'm sure all necessary security
measures will be taken in terms of routing the plane."
"But this is a highly hypothetical question at this
stage," he added.

http://im.yahoo.com