--- Begin Message ---
Weekly E-mail Alert And Update From MediaChannel.org
The latest media news, analysis and diverse perspectives from
the world's largest online media-issues network.
Join our Citizens' Media Watch: <A
HREF="http://64.225.103.105/forum/";>http://64.225.103.105/forum/</A>

PLEASE FORWARD THIS TO A COLLEAGUE

*******************
DAILY MEDIA NEWS
Breaking news stories about the international media,
from mainstream and alternative sources.
<A
HREF="http://www.mediachannel.org/news/today/";>http://www.mediachannel.org/news/today/</A>

EXCLUSIVE: Global conflict coverage from
Globalvision News Network's 150 international news providers
<A HREF="http://www.gvnews.net";>http://www.gvnews.net</A>

EXCLUSIVE: News Dissector's Daily War Report
Danny Schechter critiques what's reported - and what's not
with reader input.
<A HREF="http://www.mediachannel.org/weblog";>http://www.mediachannel.org/weblog</A>
*******************

DECEMBER 5, 2001
*New Features*

RIPPING MIDDLE EAST MEDIA
Can media-monitoring Web sites help us understand the Israeli-
Palestinian conflict or are they simply spreading divisive rhetoric?
(From OJR, MEMRI, Palestine Media Watch and more)
<A HREF="http://www.mediachannel.org";>http://www.mediachannel.org</A>

WORLD IN CRISIS, MEDIA IN CONFLICT
The global "War on Terrorism" continues to threaten both journalism
 and journalists. Here's how the media worldwide are coping with
danger, trauma, censorship and bias.

Our special coverage continues, including:
*An interview with CNN International's Chris Cramer
* The New York Times' Joseph Lelyveld on journalists' duty
* And much, much more….
<A
HREF="http://www.mediachannel.org/atissue/conflict";>http://www.mediachannel.org/atissue/conflict</A>

PUTIN'S NEW FANS
Western media has dramatically altered its coverage and perception of
Russian leader Valdimir Putin,  but what's behind this transformation?
(From Transitions Online)
<A
HREF="http://www.mediachannel.org/front.shtml#putin";>http://www.mediachannel.org/front.shtml#putin</A>

NEWS DISSECTOR: WAR CRIMES
The massacre of prisoners in an Afghan prison is being condemned
by many throughout the world as a war crime. Danny Schechter asks:
Why is the US. media largely ignoring the controversy?
<A
HREF="http://www.mediachannel.org/views/dissector/omissions.shtml";>http://www.mediachannel.org/views/dissector/omissions.shtml</A>

USE THE WEB TO CHANGE THE WORLD
Six organizations focused on the global South have collaborated
to launch a collection of  tools and guides for using the Internet
for social justice and sustainable development. (From OneWorld)
<A
HREF="http://www.mediachannel.org/front.shtml#change";>http://www.mediachannel.org/front.shtml#change</A>

MEDIA READER
The best media about the media.
MediaChannel's international, biweekly, multimedia magazine
* Peace Journalism In Colombia
* Report: The U.S. Is NOT The Center Of The World
* Coming Out In Yugoslavia
And much, much more... Plus: Streaming audio and video
<A
HREF="http://www.mediachannel.org/news/mediareader";>http://www.mediachannel.org/news/mediareader</A>

WHAT YOU'RE SAYING: VOICES FROM THE FORUM
* "We are at the mercy of what is reported to us..."
* "Some Indian Newspapers have reported on this but no news
channel in the U.S. ..."
* "Saving Private Rambo: War In Film..."
Join the discussion!
<A HREF="http://64.225.103.105/forum/";>http://64.225.103.105/forum/</A>

MEDIACULTURE
A collaboration between MediaChannel and Alternet exploring the
currents, crises and cultures of American media.
Featured this week:
* Oprah and Race
* Happy Birthday, Public Broadcasting
* LIVE WEBCAST DECEMBER 6! Visions For A Safer World
And much, much more...
<A
HREF="http://www.mediachannel.org/front.shtml#mediaculture";>http://www.mediachannel.org/front.shtml#mediaculture</A>

/------------------advertisement for ourselves------------------\
                  HELP BUILD MEDIACHANNEL

If you like what we do, help us insure our survival:

Donate Online! <A
HREF="http://www.mediachannel.org/giving";>http://www.mediachannel.org/giving</A>

Tax-deductible contributions can be sent to:
The International Center For Global Communications
1600 Broadway, Suite 700, NY, New York, 10019.
\----------------------------------------------------------------/

AS THE MEDIA WATCH THE WORLD, WE WATCH THE MEDIA.

MediaChannel is a not-for-profit project of OneWorld and The Global
Center, and is produced by Globalvision New Media.

MediaChannel.org ( <A
HREF="http://www.mediachannel.org";>http://www.mediachannel.org</A> ) is the first Web
portal dedicated to international media issues, and the premiere
Internet source for analysis and information about the media. Driven
by content from a network of more than 800 international media
organizations and contributors.

Support for MediaChannel.org has come from the Rockefeller Foundation,
The Ford Foundation, The Open Society Institute, The Arca Foundation,
The List Foundation, the Reebok Human Rights Foundation, the Puffin
Foundation, The John S. and James L. Knight Foundation, The
Barbra Streisand Foundation, the ABB group and individual donors.