From: Barry Stoller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Sent: Friday, December 07, 2001 12:19 AM
Subject: John Ashcroft as the new Joe McCarthy

 New York Times. 7 December 2001. Ashcroft Defends Antiterror Plan and
 Says Criticism May Aid Foes. Excerpts.

 WASHINGTON -- In forceful and unyielding testimony, Attorney General
 John Ashcroft today defended the administration's array of antiterrorism
 proposals and accused some of the program's critics of aiding terrorists
 by providing "ammunition to America's enemies."

 Mr. Ashcroft told the Senate Judiciary Committee, "To those who scare
 peace-loving people with phantoms of lost liberty, my message is this:
 your tactics only aid terrorists."

 He said that people who were hoping that the kind of attacks that
 occurred on Sept. 11 would not be repeated "were living in a dream
 world."

 Holding up what he said was a training manual for Al Qaeda, Mr. Ashcroft
 said that "terrorists are taught how to use America's freedoms as a
 weapon against us."

 Senator Russell D. Feingold, the Wisconsin Democrat who has been the
 Senate's most resolute critic of the administration's antiterror
 proposals, quickly took on Mr. Ashcroft over his testimony that
 criticism of the administration "gives ammunition to America's enemies,
 and pause to America's friends."

 He asked the attorney general if the series of Senate hearings
 culminating in today's session was somehow aiding the enemy.

 Mr. Ashcroft blandly replied that he welcomed the Senate hearings as
 proper oversight.

 Senator Patrick J. Leahy, the Vermont Democrat who is chairman of the
 committee, aimed his criticism largely at the administration's
 unwillingness to consult with Congress on several of its initiatives
 including the military tribunals, the order allowing authorities to
 monitor conversations between some terrorist suspects in jail and their
 lawyers and the planned questioning of some 5,000 men, mostly from the
 Middle East, now living in this country.

 Mr. Leahy said Congressional oversight was not "as some have mistakenly
 described it, to protect terrorists. "It is to protect ourselves as
 Americans and protect our American freedoms."

 Senator Orrin G. Hatch of Utah, the ranking Republican on the committee,
 said in response that there was sometimes too much Congressional
 oversight.

 He dismissed complaints that the Congress had not been consulted,
 asking: "Do any members of this committee really believe that in this
 time of crisis, the American people really care whether the president,
 the secretary of defense or the attorney general took the time to pick
 up the telephone and call us, prior to implementing these emergency
 measures?"

 In defending the tribunals, Mr. Ashcroft said: "When we come to those
 responsible for this, say who are in Afghanistan, are we supposed to
 read them the Miranda rights, hire a flamboyant defense lawyer, bring
 them back to the United States to create a new cable network of Osama TV
 or what have you, provide a worldwide platform from which propaganda can
 be developed?"

 Barry Stoller
 http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ProletarianNews