http://www.thestar.com//NASApp/cs/ContentServer?GXHC_gx_session_id_=992e
f0c6
e10c91e1&pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=10084578150
58&c
all_page=TS_News&call_pageid=968332188492&call_pagepath=News/News

FBI raids Chicago based Muslim charities

Meanwhile, two other relief agencies raided in Yugoslavia

BRIDGEVIEW, Ill. (AP) - U.S. federal authorities raided the offices and
froze the assets of two suburban Chicago Muslim organizations, which
have denied any links to terrorism.

The Global Relief Foundation in Bridgeview and the Benevolence
International Foundation in Palos Hills were searched Friday, FBI
spokesperson Ebony Harrel said. No one was arrested.

At the same time, two Global Relief Foundation offices in Yugoslavia
were searched by NATO-led peacekeepers and UN police.

U.S. Treasury Department spokesperson Tony Fratto said early today that
"there was co-ordinated action to block the assets because the groups
are suspected of funding terrorist activities."

At the Global Relief Foundation in Illinois, agents removed furniture
and fixtures as well as documents, computer tapes and receipts, said
Asim Ghafoor, a foundation spokesman. He said the agents were there from
9:30 a.m. until after 6 p.m. Friday.

The group issued a statement denying any link to terrorist activities.

"If they're investigating terrorism, they're not going to find anything
here," said Roger Simmons, a lawyer for Global Relief.

On Friday, a spokesman for Benevolence International said the charity is
co-operating.

"It's part of a higher level of scrutiny of all Muslim relief
organizations," Saffet Catovic told the Chicago Tribune. "We are all
under the microscope and we are willing to co-operate."

Global Relief's statement lamented the seizure of resources used to
prevent "the slow starvation and gruesome death in parts of the Muslim
world that rely on such badly needed aid."

"We are in the business of helping innocent civilians and take every
precaution to ensure our aid does not go to support or subsidize any
nefarious activity," the statement said.

Officials said the Chicago searches were conducted by the Treasury
Department, the FBI and the Customs Department. The search warrants were
sealed.

Fratto cited the Patriot Act, signed Oct. 26 by President George W.
Bush, which gave federal agents broad powers to detain immigrants,
eavesdrop on telephone calls and e-mail, and share sensitive details of
criminal investigations with the CIA.

The NATO statement about the raids on Global Relief offices in
Yugoslavia said peacekeepers and UN police had received credible
information that Global Relief may have been directly involved in
supporting terrorism, which the group has denied.

"It is suspected of supporting worldwide terrorist activities and is
allegedly involved in planning attacks against targets in the USA and
Europe," the statement said.

NATO spokesperson Daz Slaven said three people were detained in Friday's
raids there. He declined to release details.

Bosnian police raided the offices and apartments of employees of the
Global Relief Foundation and the Taibah International, another Islamic
relief agency, a police statement released Saturday said. Police seized
documents and questioned seven agency employees, the statement said.

Last week, federal agents raided the Bridgeview offices of another
Islamic charity, the Holy Land Foundation for Relief and Development.
Authorities said the Texas-based charity is believed to be a front that
raises money for Hamas. The organization denies the allegation.