from
http://www.japantoday.com/
__________

Milosevic's daughter goes on trial for shooting

Saturday, December 29, 2001 at 10:00 JST

BELGRADE - Slobodan Milosevic's daughter denied on Friday she had
endangered people's lives as her father was taken to prison, telling
a Belgrade court she had fired at the sky because she felt miserable,
the Beta news agency said.

  Marija Milosevic went on trial accused of endangering public safety
by firing shots as the ousted president was escorted from his villa
after a 36-hour standoff involving his security guards on April 1.

  Witnesses had said she fired five pistol shots, and local media said
bullets hit the car of a government negotiator who persuaded
Milosevic to surrender on charges of corruption and abuse of office.
No injuries were reported.

  But, Marija told the Belgrade municipal court on the opening day of
her trial: "I fired into the sky, which was dark blue. I fired all
five bullets that a Smith & Wesson holds. I fired out of misery."

  "If you can fire out of happiness, it can be done also out of
unhappiness," Beta quoted her as saying.

  She said she had been very upset that night, adding she had taken
seven or eight tranquilizers followed by a bottle of brandy,
believing the pills had not worked.

  "I saw on (local) BK television people with stockings on their faces
in front of the residence. A price of $5 million was set on my
father's head, I thought those (people) were bounty hunters and they
would shoot us...I felt threatened," she said.

  She told the court she had had three guns, two of her own and one
belonging to her father. "Guns were in a drawer in my father's
dressing room," she said.

  Marija ran a Belgrade-based television station when her father ruled
the country.

  She has kept a low profile since he was ousted in a popular revolt on
Oct 5, 2000. Slobodan Milosevic is now in detention at the U.N. war
crimes court in The Hague, facing trial for atrocities committed
during the Balkan wars of the 1990s.

  Marija visited Milosevic regularly during his three months in a
Belgrade jail but, unlike her mother and sister-in-law, has not
visited him in The Hague.

  Beta said her trial would continue on March 7.

(Reuters News)

Click the link below to view this article and related discussions on
Japan Today
http://www.japantoday.com/e/?content=news&id=189043