[Joining an ever expanding list of Western-occupied
garrison state colonies, including Bosnia, Kosovo,
Sierra Leone and Macedonia.]

Friday January 11, 11:12 PM
Afghan troops withdrawal from Kabul in line with
agreement
Afghan troops left the streets of Kabul for their
barracks in line with the interim government's
commitment to hand over responsibility for the
capital's security to police and international
peacekeepers.
General Din Mohammad Jurhat, a senior security
official in the interior ministry said around 5,000 to
6,000 Northern Alliance soldiers had left the city
over the past three days.
"Around five or six thousand soldiers have left Kabul.
More will leave Kabul in a week," he told AFP.
"Another five or six thousand divided between the
police and the military will remain."
Interior Minister Yunus Qanooni on Wednesday ordered
the Afghan military to quit Kabul within three days
and leave the city's security duties to Afghan police
and an international peacekeeping force.
The arrangement was formalised in the Military
Technical Agreement (MTA) signed last week between the
international community and the interim authorities.
The MTA specified that security in the capital would
be left in the hands of a fledgling police force and
specially-authorised Afghan military units backed by
the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF).
A senior aide to the country's former king Mohammed
Zahir Shah welcomed the troop pull-out.
"It is a positive step towards avoiding confrontation
and competitions. It makes the city securer," former
army general Abdul Wali, who is also the son-in-law of
the former monarch, said by telephone from Rome.
Northern Alliance troops interviewed by AFP Friday
said they were forbidden to carry weapons outside
their barracks and that some of their comrades had
already been sent home on leave.
Earlier in the day Major Guy Richardson, the British
spokesman for the ISAF confirmed the withdrawal had
begun.
"What the interim administration has said is those
people who are from outside Kabul should return from
whence they came," he said.
"This from HQ-ISAF's perspective is good because they
(the interim administration) are taking it a stage
further than what is specified in the MTA.
"We are delighted with the interim administration's
compliance with the MTA."
At Bala-e-hisar Fort southeast of the capital, Jan
Mohammad, 38, a deputy to commander Haji Mohammad
Almas, told AFP that troops were withdrawing from the
centre of Kabul.
"Yes, it's the last day and it will be finished," he
said.
Brigadier Mohamad Ghani said most of the troops under
his command were withdrawing to Parwan province
northwest of Kabul, and to Logar province to the
south.
"We have most of our soldiers in Logar now on a
security mission," Ghani said.
ISAF sources told AFP that a comprehensive
intelligence blueprint on the security situation in
Kabul would be developed over the coming weeks.