AnthFile (from thirdrail)
--------------------

An Identity Reduced to a Burka
---------------------by LAILA AL-MARAYATI and SEMEEN ISSA
Los Angeles Times commentary, January 20 2002

A few years ago, someone from the Feminist Majority Foundation called the Muslim Women's League to ask if she could "borrow a burka" for a photo shoot the organization was doing to draw attention to the plight of women in Afghanistan under the Taliban. When we told her that we didn't have one, and that none of our Afghan friends did either, she expressed surprise, as if she'd assumed that all Muslim women keep burkas in their closets in case a militant Islamist comes to dinner. She didn't seem to understand that her assumption was the equivalent of assuming that every Latino has a Mexican sombrero in their closet.

The complete article can be viewed at:
http://www.latimes.com/la-000005034jan20.story

Visit the Los Angeles Times at http://www.latimes.com