Reuters. 15 April 2002. Chavez probes U.S. plane on prison island in
coup.

CARACAS -- Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez said on Monday he would
investigate the mysterious presence of a U.S.-registered civilian plane
on the island where he was held during a military coup that briefly
overthrew him last week.

But the populist former paratrooper -- democratically elected in 1998 --
said he was prepared to give Washington the benefit of the doubt over
its ambiguous statements appearing to welcome his short-lived downfall.

"I think they were victims of misinformation," Chavez told a news
conference, referring to the U.S. government with uncharacteristic
diplomacy, adding he guaranteed no interruption of Venezuelan oil
supplies to the United States.

U.S. officials made it known that they were not unhappy to see the
ouster of Chavez, a close friend of Cuba's Fidel Castro who is fond of
anti-American rhetoric. They greeted his swift return to power at the
helm of the world's fourth-largest oil exporter with reservation.

When asked about Chavez's return U.S. State Department spokesman Philip
Reeker said on Monday, "We want to see a return [!] to democracy."

[N.B.] A senior U.S. official, who asked not to be named, said the
political future of Chavez and Venezuela remained uncertain.

For his part, Chavez said he was fascinated by the presence of a plane
with U.S. markings on the Venezuelan Caribbean island of La Orchila
where he was held after Friday's coup.

At the time, the military was trying to persuade him to resign and fly
into foreign exile.

"I saw the plane. It bore the markings of a private plane from the
United States, not an official plane. This is being investigated. What
was it doing there?" Chavez asked.

He said a number of Venezuelan nationals hostile to his rule were known
to be living in the United States.

"They left here with a lot of money which they robbed," he said.

Chavez added that U.S. Ambassador Charles Shapiro was aware of the
presence of the aircraft on La Orchila.

"The ambassador recognized in fact that there was a plane in La Orchila
with U.S. markings," Chavez said.

Barry Stoller
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ProletarianNews