Britain Delays Dossier On Iraq Indefinitely: Reports

Xinhuanet 2002-04-20 18:32:59
   LONDON, April 20 (Xinhuanet) -- The long-awaited dossier Prime
Minister Tony Blair has promised would justify his support for a U.
S.-led military offensive on Iraq is being delayed indefinitely
due to unresolved dispute at the highest levels of government,
Financial Times reported on Saturday.
   The Foreign Office was quoted as confirming that the dossier no
longer had a firm publication date, and that a final draft has
still to be agreed. It would be released "when we judge that the
time is right," it said.
   The British government is thought to have encountered
resistance to the plan among senior Whitehall officials, some
ministers and the secret intelligence service MI6, the newspaper
said.
   In contrast to previous intelligence dossiers on al-Qaeda used
by the Blair government to justify policy initiatives, the
information on Iraq was judged by some  officials as insufficient
to convince critics within the Labor Party that the full-scale
offensive against Iraq was justified.
   Senior defense sources also said there were debates within
government on how much could be included in such a document
without revealing sensitive information or compromising
intelligence sources.   Enditem