U.S. Senator Says Attack on Iraq Premature

Xinhuanet 2002-04-29 07:32:07
   WASHINGTON,April 28 (Xinhuanet) -- U.S. Senate Majority leader
Tom Daschle said on Sunday that there is strong support for
overthrowing Iraqi President Saddam Hussein in the United States,
but it is too early to take military action against him.
   "I don't think there's any question we need a regime change in
Iraq. There is strong bipartisan support for that and probably
worldwide support," Daschle said on ABC's "This Week."
   It is important for the United States to take first things
first, Daschle said. "We still have lot of difficulty in
Afghanistan. The warlords are now fighting. We haven't completed
our work in finding al Qaeda."
   The United States still has a lot of work to do on the fight
and the war on terrorism is still going on. It would be premature
to consider any other action in Iraq until that is completed,
Daschle said.
   "We've got to win the war on terror, we've got to stabilize
Afghanistan. We have to do all that we can to ensure that we
succeed there before we take on another mission," he added.
Enditem