U.S. Signals it Will Accept DPRK's Offer to Hold Talks

Xinhuanet 2002-05-01 04:18:00

   WASHINGTON, April 30 (Xinhuanet) -- The Bush administration on
Tuesday signaled it will accept an offer from the Democratic
People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) to hold security talks between
the two countries.
   The Permanent Mission of DPRK to the United Nations has
informed the U.S. State Department that it is prepared to begin
talks with the United States, White House spokesman Ari Fleischer
said in a statement.
   "The United States will work to determine the timing and other
details in the coming days," Fleischer said. "We anticipate these
talks will begin."
   He noted that the U.S. offer to DPRK to resume the talks has
been on the table since June and said it would be willing to meet
with DPRK officials any time, any place.   Enditem