The following is a news item posted on CBC NEWS ONLINE
at http://cbc.ca/news

MILITARY DOESN'T KNOW WHERE UNDERSEA WEAPONS DUMPS ARE
http://cbc.ca/stories/2002/04/30/mustard_ocean020430
WebPosted Wed May  1 11:13:31 2002

MARGAREE FORKS, N.S.--A resident of Cape Breton Island wants the
Canadian military to come clean about where tonnes of chemical
weapons were dumped after the Second World War.

 Myles Kehoe, an antique dealer in Margaree Forks, Cape Breton, was
surprised at what he found while looking at some nautical charts from
the 1960s.

 Some of the charts mark well-documented military explosive dump
sites off the East Coast. But one marked a site not found on any
others.

 Kehoe says a former military person and local fishermen have told
him it's a post-Second World War chemical warfare dump.

 The military claims it doesn't know what it is, but is looking into
the allegations.

 "We're taking Mr. Kehoe's claims very seriously," said Maj. Francois
Lauzon.

 In 1946, the navy sunk a barge-load of mustard gas 160 km east of
Halifax, near Sable Island.

 The military is trying to find out if there are other sites. It
admits it doesn't know.

 "Some records may have been destroyed and it will make the search
that much more complicated," said Lauzon. "But we will do our best."

 Opposition politicians are starting to ask questions on Parliament
Hill.

 "We're asking the government to come clean with Canadians, to be
responsible, to protect the interests of all of us, and our fish
stocks," said Peter Stoffer, NDP fisheries critic. Kehoe believes the
waters off Cape Breton hide other unmarked mustard gas dump sites.

 "It's there. They have to admit it's there. If you manufacture
something, and you don't use it, where the heck is it?," he said.
"Now if they can show me where it's at, in another site, hey, all the
better."

 Kehoe is worried that with increased exploration of the ocean floor
by oil companies and others old warheads and barrels of mustard gas
could be disturbed, with dangerous results.
____________________
Copyright © 2002 CBC
All Rights Reserved
http://cbc.ca/

=====
"We're all downwinders!" Check
out http://www.downwinders.org

=====
Lake Merritt Neighbors Organized for Peace.  Weekly peace walks around Lake Merritt in
Oakland.  Starts & ends at the colonnade between Grand & Lakeshore Avenues, 3 P.M.,
every Sunday.  Info:  (510)763-8712, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> or http://www.webwm.com/LMNOP

http://health.yahoo.com