Probably the most disturbing headline slogan I have seen lately -- again
and again, especially on Indymedia -- is: 'No massacre, that's why the
UN mission was canceled.'

It is true that Human Rights Watch and, I believe, Amnesty International
have set the terms: 'Massacre, no; war crimes yes.'

And, of course, in the interest of journalistic brevity, the headline is
often trimmed to 'Massacre, no.' That's what the BBC says, anyway.

What does 'no massacre' mean?

It means (more or less): only some 50 bodies have been found, not at all
500 -- as was originally claimed.

Massacre does not apply to how horrible the deaths were, or how
pointless, or how premeditated, or how evil; it applies to SIZE -- and,
in this case, the size isn't there (as far as anyone will find out in
the near future, anyway).

That leaves us with: War crimes.

'Just war crimes.' Or: 'Just the usual war crimes.'

Israel, as we all know, has demonstrated limitless occasions of such
guilt. Bulldozers burying civilians, human shields, orders to 'put a
bullet through each window,' preventing ambulances from rescuing
civilians, AND SO ON, all of it 'every day stuff.'

Everyday war crimes.

But: No massacre. That's different, that's unacceptable.

We like our massacres in slow motion -- spread out over decades. Then
it's 'just' war crimes.

And that's ... well, the US and Israel tell us that's OK.

Barry Stoller
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ProletarianNews