http://www.online.bg/ASP/wwwbgweb2.asp?mode=article&artdate=2003/3/4&artno=27

Bulgaria Online
March 4, 2003

Military Bases Might Crop Up in Bulgaria before NATO
Entry

US military bases might be established in Bulgaria
before the country has formally joined NATO. According
to an official from Bulgaria's foreign ministry this
was possible though "not very likely."

According to Lyubomir Todorov, spokesmen of the
foreign ministry in Sofia, a new concept for
dislocation of NATO military forces is looming. It
will consider the epicenters of the modern threats and
will optimize the security system after the
enlargement of the alliance.

"Following Bulgaria's NATO entry, we will become a
part of the structure and we will be able to make
proposals for establishment of military bases in the
country," Todorov pointed out.

Last week, Bulgaria's defense minister said that
Bulgaria might offer four to five bases to US
militaries. He strongly favors this idea as the bases
are expected to push upwards the economic development
in host regions.

Gen. James Jones, Supreme Allied Commander Europe, is
to start a tour across NATO members and the seven NATO
aspirants over the upcoming reform of the US military
bases system and the transfer of resources to the
candidate countries in Eastern Europe. The visits are
scheduled to take place by the end of July.

http://taxes.yahoo.com/