AP (with additional material by WABC in New York). 5 March 2003. U.S.
Students Protest Possible Iraq War.

NEW YORK and LOS ANGELES -- High school and college students around the
country walked out of class Wednesday to protest a war with Iraq,
holding a series of rallies organizers predicted would be the biggest
campus demonstrations since the Vietnam War.

Tens of thousands of students at more than 300 colleges and universities
had pledged to join the protests, according to the National Youth and
Student Peace Coalition.

Manon Terrell, a 19-year-old sophomore, missed three classes to take
part in a rally at Stanford University attended by about 300 people
carrying signs bearing slogans such as, "It's the Middle East, not the
Wild West."

"This is a personal thing for me because my friends are going to fight
this war," said Terrell, a civil engineering major.

"It's not going to be Bush and his cronies in business suits on the
front lines. They're going to take people of color and poor people."

Dozens of Stanford professors endorsed the rally, either by telling
students there would be no penalties for leaving class or by canceling
class.

The protesting students say it is their duty to tell people, anyone who
will listen, why war is wrong.

Protestor: "If I help stop the war then I have lived as a human being."

Turnout Wednesday could match last month's antiwar protest, where police
had some difficulty controlling the crowd. But the protestors insist
they are peaceful, and ask the same of President George W. Bush.

In Los Angeles, 18 demonstrators were arrested for blocking an
intersection during an interfaith protest as several hundred people
cheered.

About 1,000 students at Santa Monica City College rallied and 500 Venice
High School students left class for a protest on the school's front
lawn, waving signs and chanting "No more war, no more war."

About 500 students walked out of class at the University of Maryland.

Hundreds of students walked out in Texas.

Sporadic rain fell as about 1,500 protesters gathered at Penn State
University.

The protesters later presented the mayor with petitions asking the
borough council to oppose war with Iraq and resist elements of the USA
Patriot and the Homeland Security acts.

About 125 students and a few faculty members turned out in gray, drizzly
weather for a rally at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

Andrew Pearson took the day off from work to hang anti-war banners from
highway bridges and later joined a demonstration at the University of
North Carolina in Chapel Hill.

"We're trying to show folks across North Carolina that people are ready
and willing to disrupt their daily lives to stop the war," Pearson said.

And in Milwaukee, 40 students lined the sidewalk in front of the
Marquette University student union during an hour-long protest.

"It's good to let people know students have a say in what happens in the
world," said Abir Chaudhry, 19, who carried a sign that read "God Does
Not Bless America Only."

ProletarianNews
http://www.utopia2000.org
with photos