http://www.ptd.net/webnews/wed/df/Qiraq-eu-us-portugal.R-tk_DMA.html

Portugal backs US war on Iraq even without UN mandate

-"The United States are our allies and when an ally of
Portugal enters an armed conflict, we have obligations
as an ally and we are not going to forget those."
-"This declaration by the prime minister, which was
not done in the Portuguese parliament or not even in
Portugal, reinforces the unilateral vision of the
United States under George Bush," Francisco Louca, a
member of parliament for the far-left Left Block,
which is leading opposition to the war in Portugal....
-In January Durao Barroso announced his centre-right
government had authorised US military aircraft to use
an air base in Portugal's mid-Atlantic Azores
archipelago in the event of war.
Polls show a majority of Portuguese are opposed to a
military strike against Iraq even if it is authorised
by a UN resolution.

LUXEMBOURG, March 10 (AFP) - Portugal will support a
US-led war on Iraq even without United Nations
backing, Prime Minister Jose Manuel Durao Barroso said
on Monday.

"The United States are our allies and when an ally of
Portugal enters an armed conflict, we have obligations
as an ally and we are not going to forget those," he
said during a visit to Luxembourg.

Durao Barroso, whose country was among eight European
states to sign an open letter supporting the United
States in January, expressed little hope for a
peaceful resolution to the crisis over Iraq.

"We still support a solution in line with
international law in the context of the United Nations
but we are not among the most positive," he said.

But the Portuguese leader said Lisbon would not send
soldiers into the field to support a US-led attack,
which is backed by British troops.

Durao Barroso's announcement was immediately condemned
at home by opposition parties.

"This declaration by the prime minister, which was not
done in the Portuguese parliament or not even in
Portugal, reinforces the unilateral vision of the
United States under George Bush," Francisco Louca, a
member of parliament for the far-left Left Block,
which is leading opposition to the war in Portugal,
told private radio TSF.

Durao Barroso had previously said UN approval would
help legitimise any US-led military intervention in
Iraq but also warned that when the time came to take
sides in the conflict Portugal would not remain
neutral.

"The United States are an ally. They are a democracy.
Iraq is neither one thing nor the other," he said.

http://webhosting.yahoo.com