http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?i=4469106&c=EUR&s=TOP

Defense News
January 25, 2010

Sweden's Military To Detail Reforms
By GERARD O'DWYER

-Tolgfors said Sweden will develop its national defense in cooperation with
NATO and neighbors Finland, Denmark and Norway.
"Our defense policy adds a new neighborhood perspective," he said. "The
structure and direction of Sweden's Armed Forces will continue to have a clear
Baltic profile. We have northern Europe's largest and most qualified Air Force
that is twice as large as any of our neighbors, and it has a full operational
range."
Under the program, all operating units except the Home Guard are to be
available for deployment at home or abroad in five to seven days in situations
of "heightened alert."

HELSINKI: With parliamentary approval in hand, Sweden's military will spend
2010 deciding how to give flesh to the government's reform vision, Defense
Minister Sten Tolgfors said Jan. 17.

Put into force Jan. 1, the Targeting Decisions on Strengthening Defense
Capability (TDSDC) program seeks to strengthen Swedish defense capability;
streamline the budgetary systems that fund the military; increase units'
ability to respond to missions; and improve the performance and cost-efficiency
of materials procurement, logistics, strategic and operational management.

"It is the biggest renewal of security and defense policy for decades in
Sweden," Tolgfors told delegates at the Folk och Försvars (Nation and Defense)
seminar in Salen, Sweden. "We will use 2010 to make the requisite decisions to
carry out the modernization of our military, and civilian crisis, management
capabilities."

The reforms stem from the Functional Defense Bill submitted last March by the
Ministry of Defense to the Swedish parliament.
Tolgfors said Sweden will develop its national defense in cooperation with NATO
and neighbors Finland, Denmark and Norway.

"Our defense policy adds a new neighborhood perspective," he said. "The
structure and direction of Sweden's Armed Forces will continue to have a clear
Baltic profile. We have northern Europe's largest and most qualified Air Force
that is twice as large as any of our neighbors, and it has a full operational
range."

Under the program, all operating units except the Home Guard are to be
available for deployment at home or abroad in five to seven days in situations
of "heightened alert." Today, one-third of the Armed Forces' organization is
"equipped and prepared" for rapid deployment inside one year.

The switch will be aided by the government's decision to move to an
all-volunteer, gender-neutral force in battalion-led structures by 2014.

Under the new system, all operating units will have the same capability for
operations in Sweden, in the region and beyond. Seven battle groups will be
built of modular maneuver battalions, including artillery, air defense and
engineering units supported by the Navy and Air Force. The modular design means
the battle groups are equipped to conduct independent operations or become part
of a larger unit, which may also be multinational.

Service Changes

The Air Force will be reorganized to improve availability and capability in
low- and high-intensity conflicts, alone or with other countries. Money will be
spent to keep the JAS Gripen 39C/D fleet at or above 100 planes.

The Army's tank companies are to be organized outside these maneuver
battalions, but will stand ready to reinforce regular pre-designated maneuver
battalions and other operating units. Armored assets, including Tank 122 and
the Combat Vehicle 90 units, that are not required for front-line operations
will be transferred to reserve units. The military will soon replace its core
mechanized and light-mechanized forces, including airborne battalions, with
modular mechanized, light-mechanized and light-maneuver battalions.

The Navy's Amphibious Battalion will be turned into a maneuver battalion with
amphibious capabilities.