HTTP://WWW.STOPNATO.COM
---------------------------

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5jW4ww8Biq52wn8KpN7Oml-qF1MbQ

Canadian Press
January 29, 2010

Clinton to outline new NATO roles in Paris speech on Europe's security
By Matthew Lee

-Clinton said she wanted her speech to be part of "the whole discussion that's
going on about the definition of European security" as NATO reviews its goals
and strategies for the next 50 years.
She said the traditional definition of security as deterrence is obsolete and
is broadening to include threats from non-state actors, terrorism,
cyber-security and disaster mitigation and response.
"There are a lot of implications that were not part of the original NATO
concept but which we increasingly define as security," she said.

PARIS, France: U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton flew to Paris on
Friday for talks with French officials and to give a speech on European
security in which she will underscore the Obama administration's commitment to
the continent's security.

She was meeting with President Nicolas Sarkozy and his national security
adviser, Jean-David Levitte, before delivering an address at France's military
academy. Clinton will speak to threats facing Europe, the administration
approach to missile defence, arms control with Russia and the importance of
NATO.

Speaking to reporters travelling on the plane with her to France, Clinton said
she wanted her speech to be part of "the whole discussion that's going on about
the definition of European security" as NATO reviews its goals and strategies
for the next 50 years.

She said the traditional definition of security as deterrence is obsolete and
is broadening to include threats from non-state actors, terrorism,
cyber-security and disaster mitigation and response.

"There are a lot of implications that were not part of the original NATO
concept but which we increasingly define as security," she said.

Clinton also said she would address new Russian proposals for European security.

On the controversial issue of a missile defence network for Europe, Clinton
said the U.S. would welcome Moscow's input on research and development.

"From our perspective missile defence is much more now about defending against
non-state actors and rogue regimes than it is about what we classically thought
as the need for deterrence," she said.

Clinton arrived in Paris after attending two days of conferences on Afghanistan
and Yemen in London. At the meeting she also stressed the necessity of
punishing Iran for its failure to come clean about its nuclear intentions.
or
stopnato-subscr...@yahoogroups.com

Daily digest option available.