HTTP://WWW.STOPNATO.COM
---------------------------

http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?i=4475646&c=SEA&s=TOP

Defense News
February 1, 2010

JSF To Get Extra $314B Over 5 Years
By JOHN REED

How much will it actually cost to build and buy each F-35 fighter jet?

DoD acquisition chief Ashton Carter wants to know, and is set to order a
bottom-up review of the program and its costs, according to the program's
manager, Marine Corps Maj. Gen. David Heinz.

In the meantime, the Pentagon's 2011 budget request will add $314 billion to
the F-35 Lightning II program over five years, as was recommended by DoD's
Joint Estimating Team (JET) late last year.
In the meantime, "this next year between FY-10 and 11, we know we've got 30
airplanes," said Heinz.

Heinz says that none of the services are considering cutting their F-35
purchases.

In January, a leaked Navy briefing compared the cost of flying F/A-18s and
AV-8Bs in 2008 to operating the F-35 in 2029. That prompted speculation that
the Navy was gunning to trim its order. Navy officials later said the analysis
was done to better estimate the plane's total ownership costs.
or
stopnato-subscr...@yahoogroups.com

Daily digest option available.