http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?i=4483043&c=EUR&s=TOP

Defense News
February 2, 2010

NATO Chief: Nations Must Unite On Cyber Warfare
By ANTONIE BOESSENKOOL

SAN DIEGO: Given attacks on computer networks in Estonia, Georgia, Latvia and
Lithuania in the past several years, the definition of protections for NATO
members should be expanded, the NATO Supreme Allied Commander Europe said Feb.
2.

The likelihood that the next conflict will start with a cyber attack rather
than a physical attack highlights the importance of changing the treaty's
definitions, Adm. James Stavridis said at the Armed Forces Communications and
Electronics Association conference.

Article 5 of the NATO alliance says that an attack on any member will be
considered an attack on all NATO members. But the definition of what
constitutes an attack doesn't include cyber warfare, which didn't exist when
the alliance was formed. NATO nations will have to work together to deflect and
combat cyber attacks, and those relationships will be complex and difficult, he
said.

"Every nation has its own law enforcement, its own approach to privacy, its own
system and mores, its own networks, its own technologies," said Stavridis, also
head of U.S. European Command. "I am working very hard to encourage the
alliance, in my role as Supreme Allied Commander … to grapple with these hard
issues in cyber.

"In NATO … we need to talk about what defines an attack. In a country like
Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, all NATO members, what defines an attack? I believe
it is more likely that an attack will come not off a bomb rack on an aircraft,
but as electrons moving down a fiber optic cable. So this is a very real and
germane part of this challenge that we face in the cyber war."

NATO has taken the first step toward making cyber warfare combat an
international effort by standing up the Cooperative Cyber Defence Center of
Excellence in 2008 in Estonia, but facing cyber threats will require
cooperation among U.S. government agencies, and between governments and
industry as well, Stavridis said.

As for where industry can play a role, he said DoD is interested in
technologies in telemedicine, facial recognition systems and terrain mapping,
as examples.

"Many of you are already engaged on the industry side of this," Stavridis told
the audience of defense industry representatives and military members. "You
need to help us find the technologies that will permit us to dial in so that we
can do the open, strategic connecting we need to do and still protect our
systems."