From: AOLserver Discussion [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of Nathan Folkman
Sent: Sunday, November 03, 2002 9:05 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [AOLSERVER] Sign Up for AOLserver Documentation!

In a message dated 11/3/02 7:52:51 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

After reviewing this, I now see what you're saying. The problem is that
the second part of some command names should really have been the
subcommand name.

For example:

   ns_returnadminnotice

should really have been:

   ns_return adminnotice

In the same way,

   ns_sockopen

should really be

   ns_sock open

Were this the case, it would be obvious to look up 'man ns_sock' and
'man ns_return'. In these cases, I take back what I said -- I suppose
they should be on the same man page.

Thus, it appears the AOLserver Tcl Dev Guide is inconsistent --
ns_sockopen, ns_socklisten and the other ns_sock* command should have
been on the same page together, like ns_return*, but they aren't. Maybe
that's because the functionality or passed args are essentially the same
for ns_return*, but different for ns_sock*.

/s.

Ironically Jim and I were just discussing changing the nsv_* commands to be something like ns_svar <cmd>. Keeping the current nsv_* commands for backward compatibility of course! ;-) I think we should concentrate on documenting the files as they exist in $TOP/aolserver/doc and can revisit single vs. multiple commands per file when we turn our attention towards the 4.0 documentation work.

- n