I recently tried the Solaris malloc debugging facility, but the AOLserver
(running ACS) went from taking about 5 minutes to start up to taking over
72 hours to start up.  AOLserver uses so much dynamic memory that any
malloc debugging solutions that work by adding virtual-memory hardware
guard buffers around the malloc'd area are going to be r e a l  l  y    s
    l     o        w.

I think electric fence is not thread-safe, which is a problem that a lot
of the malloc debugging libraries have.

Sorry I can't be more constructive.  I just had a problem like this, and
didn't solve it, so the system just crashes regularly.