----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott Goodwin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, November 07, 2002 4:13 PM
Subject: Re: [AOLSERVER] AOLserver Project Update

> Good question.  In about six months I expect AOLserver and all of the
> modules to be fully tested, documented and clean. At that point, it will
> be hard to argue with using AOLserver for any kind of IT project from a
> technical or maintenance standpoint. It is the other arguments we will
> have to overcome, such as, "Tcl? I thought that was obsolete" and "Isn't
> everything going Java and J2EE?"

I see one big obstacle... and one I hope can be overcome..there are lots of
third party add ons for apache that would work seemlessly if we had
compatibility with the more popular MODs for apache.  If we had perfect
emulation of (for example) mod_rewrite it would make quite a few packages
that are popular (like gallery from gallery.menalto.com) work much better..
I think one of the best ways to get converts from the top webservers is to
offer them invisible migration.. otherwise we have to limit ourselves to
people willing to convert lots of code or people setting up fresh servers..
and neither of those are large in volume...

Make it apache compatible at the basic level (with add on modules) and it
will be a lot easier to convert them...

> for magazines, update my website, and run naked through the streets if
> necessary.

I want pictures.. :)

--
  Patrick Spence <arivenATarivenDOTcom>